The Smart External Link Click Monitor Plugin allows you to track which external links your visitors click on.
Data are stored on your server. No external service needed.
Development, maintenance and support of this plugin has been retired in october 2023. You can use this plugin as long as is works for you.
There will be no more updates and I won’t answer any support questions. Thanks for your understanding.
Feel free to fork this plugin.
The Link Log Plugin changes all your links to external sites. For example
https://www.google.com is changed to something like
https://www.example.com/?goto=HUESQ2ifGipAlHg4OTUzfihAUgfz1La8. The link change takes place when a post or page is displayed. Internal links to pages on your domain are not changed, also URLs not starting with
https are not changed (tracking of
tel URLs can be activated optionally). Also attributes (like class or target) are not touched. There is no need to change anything. All links in all posts and pages are changed automatically in front end. When editing a post or page in back end all links appear unchanged.
In ’Settings’ -> ’Link Log’ you can change several settings.
Plugin Privacy Information
- This plugin does not set cookies
- This plugin stores IP-addresses of visitors in your database (see below)
- This plugin does not send any data to external servers
As of version 3 the Link Log plugin encrypts the visitors IP-address before storing it into the database. The IP-addresses are used exclusively to identify multiple clicks from the same IP-address and exclude them from counting. Encrypting the IP-addresses does not change the functionality. The encrypted IP-addresses can not be decrypted.
If you’ve used this plugin already before version 3 your database contains unencrypted IP-addresses. In that case a message will be shown in WordPress Admin. The plugin makes it possible to encrypt the already existing data. The message can not be ignored. As soon as there are no more unencrypted data, the message disappears.
As of version 3 this plugin is fully GDPR compliant as soon as you encrypted the already stored data.
This plugin is compatible with ClassicPress.
For Theme Developers
There are two functions you can use in your theme files:
get_linklog_url( $url ) to get the tracking URL,
<?php $google = get_linklog_url( 'http://www.google.com' ); ?>
the_linklog_url( $url ) to echo the tracking URL,
<a href="<?php the_linklog_url( 'http://www.google.com' ); ?>" target"=_blank">Google</a>
No, all your links to external sites are changed automatically.
No, the links are changed every time when a post or page is displayed – the original links are left unchanged.
Those characters represent the encrypted link. The encryption produces different results on different websites. Using uncoded links for redirection could be used in phishing attacks to get users to visit malicious sites without realizing it by ”hijacking” a reputable domain, e.g. http://www.example.com/?goto=http://www.this-is-a-very-bad-phishing-site.com.
Will this work with a Caching Plugin?
Yes, but if you change the parameter name you have to clear the cache.
Will the plugin work with my existing Theme?
The plugin should work with all Themes.
Will the plugin work on WordPress Multisite?
Yes, in a Multisite installation the plugin stores the link clicks per Blog.
Bidragsgivare och utvecklare
”Smart External Link Click Monitor [Link Log]” är programvara med öppen källkod. Följande personer har bidragit till detta tillägg.Bidragande personer
”Smart External Link Click Monitor [Link Log]” har översatts till 3 språk. Tack till översättarna för deras bidrag.
Intresserad av programutveckling?
5.0.2 (2022-10-01) FINAL VERSION
- removed all links to webiste
- removed request for rating
- removed manual
- Settings interface adapted to my other plugins
- plugin renamed from link-log to Link Log
- UI improvements
- code improvement
- incorrect GDPR compliance alert fixed
- encrypt IP-addresses for data protection reasons
- use 303 redirect to avoid browser caching
- priority of filter the_content changed
- minor code- & UI-improvements
- faulty display in WP 4.9 fixed
- redesigned admin interface
- code improvement
- 12 new bots added to detection list
- made plugin ready for translation
- removal of needless characters from encrypted URLs
- faster encryption and decryption
- optional tracking of telephone links
- Closed SQL Injection vulnerability
- Closed HTTP Response Splitting vulnerability
- Closed Open Redirect vulnerability
- Menu item title for Link Click Analysis page is now customizable
- Page title for Link Click Analysis page is now customizable
- Customizable link descriptions to show on Link Click Analysis page instead of URLs
- Option to add rel=”nofollow” to links
- Option to track only specific posts/pages
- Complete documentation accessible from back end
- Click Analysis now accessible also for Editors, not only for Admins
- Click Analysis now uses standard WP table
- Filtering of results
- Works now with WPML
The WPML Plugin changes the Home URL by adding the language to it – Link Log now can handle that to work with WPML and other Plugins that change the Home URL (thanks to GREIFF for testing)
- Performance Improvement
The browser is now forced to redirect to the target URL before the data is stored to the databse
- remove trailing slashes
To avoid duplicate entries for e.g. example.com and example.com/ all trailing slashes are removed now
Update Notice: when updating to version 1.3 all trailing slashes from all existing entries in the database are removed automatically
- Omit search engines and other bots
- Omit multiple clicks from same IP
- Första version