Polylang allows you to create a bilingual or multilingual WordPress site. You write posts, pages and create categories and post tags as usual, and then define the language for each of them. The translation of a post, whether it is in the default language or not, is optional.
- You can use as many languages as you want. RTL language scripts are supported. WordPress languages packs are automatically downloaded and updated.
- You can translate posts, pages, media, categories, post tags, menus, widgets…
- Custom post types, custom taxonomies, sticky posts and post formats, RSS feeds and all default WordPress widgets are supported.
- The language is either set by the content or by the language code in url, or you can use one different subdomain or domain per language
- Categories, post tags as well as some other metas are automatically copied when adding a new post or page translation
- A customizable language switcher is provided as a widget or in the nav menu
The author does not provide support on the wordpress.org forum. Support and extra features are available to Polylang Pro users.
If you wish to migrate from WPML, you can use the plugin WPML to Polylang
If you wish to use a professional or automatic translation service, you can install Lingotek Translation, as an addon of Polylang. Lingotek offers a complete translation management system which provides services such as translation memory or semi-automated translation processes (e.g. machine translation > human translation > legal review).
Thanks a lot to all translators who help translating Polylang.
Thanks a lot to Alex Lopez for the design of the logo.
Most of the flags included with Polylang are coming from famfamfam and are public domain.
Wherever third party code has been used, credit has been given in the code’s comments.
Do you like Polylang?
Don’t hesitate to give your feedback.
- Installation Instructions
- Make sure you are using WordPress 4.0 or later and that your server is running PHP 5.2.4 or later (same requirement as WordPress itself)
- If you tried other multilingual plugins, deactivate them before activating Polylang, otherwise, you may get unexpected results!
- Install and activate the plugin as usual from the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Gå till ”Språk” under ”Inställningarna” och skapa de språk du behöver
- Lägg till widgeten ”Språkväljaren” för att kunna göra det möjlig för dina besökare att byta språk.
- Take care that your theme must come with the corresponding .mo files (Polylang automatically downloads them when they are available for themes and plugins in this repository). If your theme is not internationalized yet, please refer to the Theme Handbook or ask the theme author to internationalize it.
- Var hittar man hjälp?
- First time users should read Polylang – Getting started, which explains the basics with a lot of screenshots.
- Read the documentation. It includes a FAQ and the documentation for developers.
- Search the community support forum. You will probably find your answer here.
- Read the sticky posts in the community support forum.
- If you still have a problem, open a new thread in the community support forum.
- Polylang Pro users have access to our helpdesk.
- Is Polylang compatible with WooCommerce?
- You need a separate addon to make Polylang and WooCommerce work together. A Premium addon is available.
- Do you need translation services?
- Om du vill använda professionell, eller automatisk översättningstjänst, installera och aktivera tillägget Lingotek Translation.
the best translation plugin I have learned know so far. Thank you so much for all your work. It is so useful! I like it more than a multisite solution for internationalisation. You have deserved the best karma for this plugin. Thanks again.
The best multilingual plugin out there
Since I installed this plugin, I could not upload any photo at all. Gave me really big problems.
This plugin destroyed my Menu’s, categories and after i deactivated and also deleted, i still have the main page setup on EN.
How can i get it back to normal ?
PS: I followed polylang instructions and i don’t care about this plugin anymore !
Please replay only with solutions not with questions.
Complete language is missing in the Polylang. It is Serbian language in Cyrillic alphabet. This is not a problem in my code or installation. There is lack of language. Is there a way to Polylang add missing language in new updates?
Polylang already has a Serbian language in Latin, but it is not a primary Serbian script such as Cyrillic.
Otherwise, the plugin is excellent. Poor score is only because of the lack of language.
I installed this plugin on another website I handle. This is absolutely an hassle free plugin, easy to configure and functional.
ATTENTION: as you activate the plugin your theme will be messed up, you need to create multilanguage content for respective pages and posts as soon as you can to make the plugin work properly and automatically put your theme back in normal state.
Bidragsgivare och utvecklare
”Polylang” är programvara med öppen källkod. Följande personer har bidragit till detta tillägg.Bidragande personer
”Polylang” har översatts till följande 18 språkvarianter: French, Japanese, German, Finnish, Croatian, Catalan, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Esperanto, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Albanian, Slovak, Romanian, English (Canada), Belarusian, Occitan. Tack till översättarna för deras bidrag.
Intresserad av programutveckling?
- Pro: Fix translated slug of ‘page’ if it is translated to an empty string
- Update plugin udpater class to 1.6.11
- Strings registered with a wpml-config.xml file or WPML functions are now multiline by default
- Translate the site title in emails sent to the user
- Fix sanitize_user for specific locales
- Fix deprecation notice in Yoast SEO integration
- Fix: Clean term cache after the language has been set in mass #119
- Pro: Add filter ‘pll_xdata_nonce_life’
- Pro: Fix translation of WooCommerce product attribute slug
- Pro: Fix product synchronization in WooCommerce 2.7
- Pro: Fix error message when bulk trashing synchronized posts
- Add option to discard item spacing in the output of pll_the_languages() ( Props Ceslav Przywara ) #93 #95
- Add as, dzo, kab, km, ml_IN, nl_BE, pa_IN, rhg, sah, ta_IN, tah, te, tt_RU to the predefined list of languages
- Update plugin updater class to 1.6.10
- Fix: Remove the dependency to is_ssl() to detect the language in the url ( language set from the directory name )
- Fix issue with secondary level domains
- Fix strings not translated in emails
- Fix incorrect usage of add_action() ( Props Peter J. Herrel ) #103
- Fix wrong redirect in customizer in WP 4.7
- Pro: Add filter ‘pll_enable_duplicate_media’ for a fine control of automatic media duplication
- Add filter ‘pll_links_model’ for the links model class name
- Trim any starting ^ from modified rewrite rules
- Pro: Fix wrong count of plugins to udpate
- Fix slashed strings translations not saved #94
- Minimum WordPress version is now 4.4
- Pro: Add support for synchronized posts (same post in multiple languages)
- Pro: Add support for custom post type UI and the Divi Builder
- Improve support of Yoast SEO (no category base and post type archive breadcrumb title)
- Move Languages menu at top level instead of submenu of the WordPress settings
- Copy the original post date when creating a translation and when the date is synchronized (Props Jory Hogeveen) #32
- Remove hreflang attributes on paged pages and paged posts
- Add label to widget language dropdown for better accessibility (Props Lawrence Francell) #53 #56
- Remove constants POLYLANG_URL and PLL_LOCAL_URL
- wp_get_sidebars_widgets() and is_active_sidebar() are now filtered according to widgets languages #54
- Add functions pll_esc_html__(), pll_esc_html_e(), pll_esc_attr__() and pll_esc_attr_e() to the API (Props jegbagus) #83
- Pro: Fix conflict between WooCommerce shop on front and translated shop base slug
- Pro: Fix $wp_rewrite search base and author_base not translated #68
- Pro: Fix page preview does not log in the user when using sudomains
- Fix: avoid setting the language cookie on 404 pages
- Fix: rewrite rules order modified for custom post types archives
- Fix: conflict with WP All Import causing our filters to fail in ”Add Media” modal when editing a post
- Fix: auto add pages not working for nav menus assigned to several locations
- Fix: Jetpack infinite scroll for multiple domains #58 #74
- Fix: serialize error in Strings translations when balanceTags option is active #63
- Fix: static front page preview when redirected from the languages page #49
- Fix: Auto add pages not working for nav menus assigned to several locations
- Fix: Conflict with Woocommerce Show Single Variation
- Fix: Parent page not synchronized in Quick edit (introduced in 2.0.8)
- Fix: WPML API wpml_element_has_translations and wpml_post_language_details
- Fix: unattached media translations not in language switcher
- Fix: Conflict with WP Residence advanced search
See changelog.txt for older changelog